Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Even the Devil Believes

It's an oft-used cliche in pulpit circuits: "Even the Devil believes in Jesus."

That's true. Satan believes that his arch-enemy is Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God. But, Satan does not, and cannot follow Jesus. He wars eternally with God, and he is condemned to do so until Jesus' Second Coming in bringing about the New Heaven and New Earth.

But, what about us, those who proclaim to be believers of Jesus? Other than not considering Jesus as our arch-enemy, how ought we be different than the evil believer?

We are invited to go beyond believing in God. We are created to follow Him, like Jesus' disciples did.

For me, it's a gargantuan fear to follow Jesus. It means I would live a life that is consistent with what Jesus teaches in the "Sermon on the Mount".

Consider the famous Beatitudes.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

I need to soul-search whether I watch out more for my own pleasure than for taking some responsibility in helping the poor, the needy, the widow, the fatherless, the oppressed, and the marginalized?

When God calls, as He did to Isaiah, did it ever occur to me to respond, "Here am I, Lord. Send me"?

I am so afraid to be a follower of Jesus. There is so much I want to hang onto, and not to let go.

Like the rich young ruler in the Gospel story, I am sad and on edge because I care more about myself than I do about God and the world of hurting people around me.

But, am I content to remain being a mere believer, or am I willing to take one more step... a very steep step of a plunge and become a follower, a disciple of Christ in living out my life for what He stands for - justice, peace, charity, mercy, grace, love, other-centredness and Kingdom-mindedness?

My life, thus far, says, "I don't mind being a Christian... only up to a point. But, to go all the way? I'm not that sure."

God didn't say give me a tithe of your life, Tom. He has called me to be a living sacrifice and give Him my ALL!

That's a huge gauntlet thrown onto the floor for me to content with.

Tony Campolo says there's nothing wrong with making a million dollars. But, it's wrong to keep it for myself. The issue here is not how much I tithe for God. The issue is how much is left for me to possess after my tithing is done... in material possessions, my heart, spirit, and life.

You see, following Jesus is self-actualization and self-fulfillment, not too different than Abraham Maslow's prescription for attaining the two top rungs of his hierarchy of human needs, those of self-actualization and leaving a legacy.

On my own volition, I can never will to become Jesus' disciple. He has to first invade me... deep in my soul and the core of my being, like His apostles who left everything behind and followed Jesus.

I have to allow Christ , who is knocking at the door of my heart, to come in... to invade me.

With His strength, I will be strong enough to live out my faith in God and be His follower, eager to collect the dust thrown up by the Master's
sandals.

Lord, I hear You knocking at the door. I am totally humbled that the King of kings and Lord of lords is seeking me. Please come in, Lord! Invade me! Give me Your strength to believe and follow as one of Yours!

Amen







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a hard statement "to give one's life for Jesus" and we should be careful not to proclaim it too loudly. That is, that we have done it. For it is not something that we can do (or even want to do), but it is the Holy Spirit that is within us that causes us to grave it.

Always a pleasure to read your blog.

Bill