Monday, March 10, 2008

Homeward Bound



I just came back from visiting Bob… at Health Sciences Centre.

I walked into his room and saw a mop of white hair, bending over and throwing up in a green plastic basin. He spilled most of the contents onto himself. He was too tired and weary to care much.

I said, “Hi, Bob.” His hollow eyes looked up.

I continued, “This is Tom… Tom Chan.” He smiled, “Hi, Tom”, though his vomit dripped from the unshaven white chin.

“Bob, I am here to encourage you and to pray for you.”

“You are beautiful,” he responded.

I left the room briefly to fetch a nurse’s aide. One came by as I was reading Psalm 139 to Bob. She said, “Go ahead. I’ll come back.”

Bob was moved with the soothing truth of God’s word through the mouth of King David in Psalm 139. As I read, he intoned with his echoing prayers.

I anointed Bob with oil and prayed for him, invoking the mighty name of our Saviour, enforcing His victory, claiming His authority, and leaning heavily on His promises.

Bob was at peace. He was in tune with His peace which surpasses all human understanding.

I read him Isaiah 44:2 and Isaiah 46: 3-4.

I believe God has a plan for Bob, whether on this side of eternity or the next.

I thanked Bob for his servant heart in bringing those school children to church Sunday after Sunday and acted as their surrogate parent.

He thanked me. I felt so humbled that he thanked me.

I gave Bob a crude home-made, hand-hewn cross, “This is your life insurance plan, Bob.”

He was moved.

I was moved.

I said good-bye to Bob, and promised that I would return the day after.

“See you on Wednesday, Tom.”

“See you, Bob, and God bless you.”

As my CD player blared: “You are the Everlasting God. You do not faint. You do not grow weary. You are the defender of the weak. You comfort those in need. You lift us up on wings like eagles,” I sobbed uncontrollably driving all the way home.

Have mercy on us all, Lord!

At the end of the day, Your grace is sufficient for us.

Bless you, Bob!

May He be very close to you!







No comments: