Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Father's Heart

Last evening, I took our second son to Greyhound station downtown as he was taking a trip to Lethbridge, AB, to visit his girlfriend for a couple of weeks.

We arrived about 45 minutes before boarding.

We sat side-by-side at the waiting lounge, pretending to watch the TV dangled from the ceiling, while we awkwardly didn't know how to say good-bye.

Two guys sitting on a log... you know, the strong silent type.

I made two-bit conversations, asking him when he'd arrive and how long he planned to stay at Lethbridge.

When it was announced that passengers would board soon, we got up and stood in line with the others... in silence.

At that moment, I looked at my son, 25-years-old (a strapping handsome young man about whom my wife had remarked one time with pride and admiration with: "What an all-Canadian boy!") and remembered him lifting up his head while lying on his tummy when he was only two weeks old, him wearing a cool grey flannel hat, a legacy from Grandpa, with curls cascading from the sides at age three, and him getting upset with me (for whatsoever reason of which I had not an inkling) when I watched him play "Pee Wee" soccer at age 4.

Wow! My heart began to journey down this memory lane; and for a moment, it tendered in tears!

This young man is my son, my flesh and blood whom I love dearly as the other three sons.

And, he is just taking a Greyhound a quarter way across the country to see his girlfriend. What am I thinking?

Better yet, what am I feeling?

_______________________________________________

I just called my third son, who is 23, to see how he is doing.

He is suffering from a mysterious and inexplicable pain in his shins, costing him his new job of two weeks.

He's been to several doctors and had tests and x-rays. They all came back negative. But, he cannot walk!

And this is an athletic and strong young man who, five years ago, rode his bike solo all the way from Winnipeg to Sault Ste. Marie in a week.

He lives independently on his own in an apartment downtown, and I think of him all the time.

"How are your legs?"

"Are they better?"

"How is your food holding out?''

I ask the same questions whenever I call.

_______________________________________________________

And, here is our eldest son who is exceptionally gifted musically and technologically.

He has discovered on his own that he would enjoy returning to university to finish his degree which he had begun several years ago.

He made the decision (to which my wife and I silently, and, at times, not that silently, gave assent and applause) to take a year of leave from his technology job to pursue his interest in scholarship.

Great job! We all rejoice!

Even if it means a grown-up child is about to move back home under his parents' roof.

They say that would happen.

I refused to believe it.

Guess what?

Surprise! It's about to happen.

________________________________________________________

Then, there is our youngest son who, upon graduation with a first degree, moved to Vancouver to be close to his girlfriend and chose to take on any job that pays two bits.

Now, he is a university-educated bicycle courier in Greater Vancouver.

Miss him. Yes. Indeed!

Pray for him daily for his safety, for sure.

Why am I dissecting my heart for all to see?

I guess how I feel about my fours sons in their respective circumstances is just a small ripple in the tsunami of the Father Heart of God for each one of us.

God cares about us.

He wants us to keep in touch with Him DAILY.

He proudly displays each of our photographs as wallpaper on His laptop.

He thinks about us ALL THE TIME!

Why? He simply loves and adores us.

That was why He traded His only precious Son as our ransom for freedom from sin and death.

I am free today and I am assured of His eternal love forever because He loves me much, very much... and first!

That's the Father Heart of God.

I have just gained a tiny insight into how it feels to be a loving father.

To beat just a little like how my Creator-God's heart thumps for me as my Heavenly Father... Wow!

Is this part and parcel of being created in His likeness?!

That blows me away.

Thank you, Father.

Amen.

4 comments:

Thomas V. Chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Konrad said...

cool, i liked reading that post, dad, to be reminded of all my brothers, and you. that's neat insight! thanks for sharing :)

Debbie Haughland Chan said...

That was a cool post, Tom. You are right. Our sons are very special.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
Here I am down in Michigan finally able to get a comment out to you. I really like what you said about your sons,and indeed you certainly can be proud of them, they are all wonderful, talented, and sensitive young men. I am proud of them too.
Mom