Monday, November 23, 2009

Dark Night of the Soul

It was a year or so ago when I and Mikael spoke about the "Dark Night of the Soul", a wintry season in life that St. John of the Cross phrased. I encouraged my son to keep trudging through the deep snow and march on with the strength and courage God provides.

Now that Mikael is gone, I find myself wandering sightlessly, aimlessly, and restlessly through the anguish of my dark night.

I am overcome by the "Great Sadness" as so aptly described in William P. Young's acclaimed fiction of redemption, healing, and forgiveness, The Shack.

God, when will I be whole again? Or, will I ever?

Jesus, You are the Light of the world. Come and provide me with a glimpse of your hope, please.







2 comments:

roy said...

Certainly it's hard to separate one's emotion from oneself especially during dark periods.

Could I dare to suggest that you look at the entire situation with a dispassionate eye, as an Observer, a Seer and treat it as an learning experience?

You have your work, your paintings, your writings, your religious work, your families &.... to carry on.

Yes, Keal is gone and nothing we can do to bring him back but we have to take a deep breath and chart a new course.

bill rumley said...

You should write again, it is good for the soul, yours and mine!