Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Relay for Glory

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy, He has given us new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade – kept in heaven for you…” 1 Peter: 3-5


The above scripture speaks of an ever-present, irrevocable, unequivocal and glorious victory, wrought by Jesus on the cross, over sin, guilt, shame, judgment, despair, and death for all who believe in Him.


It is a message of joyous hope and gracious assurance of better things to come against the transitory backdrop of earthly sufferings, disappointments, heartaches, and dashed dreams.


Yesterday, Bob King was remembered and praised for a life well lived as an ambassador of Christ in a memorial service at church.


Bob impacted many lives while he lived. He brought school children to church week after week. He did what Jesus would have done, taking care of the fatherless. I was so touched by Bob’s actions that I developed such an admiration for this man of God.


Little did I know that Bob was not well, suffering from diabetes, kidney and liver problems. But, interacting with this joyful soul, one would never know that he was suffering from serious health concerns. He was always cheerful, positive, loving, humble, giving, and forgiving.


When Bob’s condition worsened, he was admitted into Health Sciences Centre towards the end of February. For 31 days, Bob suffered physically and emotionally. He was in constant pain from the build-up of toxins in his body.


Though his wife, Lynn, and his children had been by his side day and night in the hospital, there must have been moments of deep and painful longing to be home in his own bed surrounded by those whom he loved and who loved him.


In one’s race in life, it was not exactly what one would like to see the “home stretch” to being placed in a double occupancy hospital ward, dressed in an uncomfortable medical gown, hooked up to tubes and bags, enduring bed sores, listening to the rhythmic beeping of medical gadgetry, the irritating white noise of an unwatched television on the other side of the thin partition, and the constant cacophony of intercom calls in the hallway.


Yes. No doubt, Bob suffered. But, he didn’t complain.


Paul reminds us that whatsoever we go through now is worth the eventual outcome promised by God.


“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed to us.” Romans 8: 18


Bob just hoped to be home soon.


He wished that he could return to his wood shop and carve something for me as a keepsake.


Bob, probably you have done it already. Keep it for me when I see you.


Bob is in an unimaginably gloriously joyous state now.


Heaven is being with God in His holy presence in essence and eternity. Wow! I can only imagine! Only that my imagination were not so limited!


As we see eternity darkly as if through glass, Bob King is in it and its glory.


I, too, have a living hope in our Lord and Saviour. He knocks on the door of my heart and invites me to open it so I may see the glorious eternity on the other side.


“Now we see but a poor reflection; then, we shall see face to face. Now that I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” 1 Corinthians 13: 12


Thank you Bob for finishing your leg of the relay!


I just hope that I am worthy of the baton you just passed onto to me as I run for and towards Christ’s glorious victory as you so humbly and courageously did.


Amen










No comments: